Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe for baby led weaning

At the farmer's market on Saturday I stumbled across the cutest little brussels sprouts and decided that if I was ever to make good on my promise to give them another try, now would be the time. So I bought a box of them and headed home, wondering where such a reckless path might lead me.  It led me, it turns out, to deliciousness.


Going on my observation that all vegetables are delicious roasted, I decided to give it a go with these, too. The generalization still stands: brussels sprouts, too, are good roasted. Of course, I didn't want to salt them, so I made a balsamic vinegar reduction and crossed my fingers hoping that it would provide the flavor needed to make them irresistable even to a skeptic such as myself. It did. Browned and a little bit crunchy on the outside, tender enough at the stem end that Mae could gum them without a problem, and drizzled in sweet and tangy balsamic vinegar...yeah, I'll be making these again.  Next week, in fact, if I can find the brussels sprouts at the market again.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar

1/2 lb of the smallest brussels sprouts you can find (1/2 inch)
1/4 c. olive oil
black pepper
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1 small bay leaf
pinch of cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 400. In a bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with the oil and grind black pepper to taste over it. Roast for 20 minutes, giving it a good stir halfway through. They should be brown and tender when they're ready.  Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, simmer the balsamic vinegar together with the bay leaf and cinnamon. Let it go until it's reduced by half.  When the sprouts are ready, return them to their bowl and toss them with the now-thickened vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment