Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Recipe for Chicken Bites with curried yogurt dipping sauce-- finger food for babies


Ok, this is what I'm talking about. These are yummy, not too difficult to make from stuff you might already have sitting around waiting to be used, and fun. I have to introduce my new messiness rating scale for them, though, as they're not the tidiest lunch you can give a kid. But that's part of the joy of it-- they're initially pick-uppable, yet mush easily (no choking or gagging on these!)
Messiness rating: 3 (Get out the hose).
I thought it might be different if I had not given her the little bowl full of curry sauce (which, as you can see, she enjoyed in its own right), but the next day when I served her the leftovers, I drizzled the sauce on instead, and you know what? It wasn't any less messy that way. It was equally tasty, however.

Chicken bites
1 c. mashed potato
¾ c. finely chopped cooked shredded chicken
Black pepper to taste
½ tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Olive oil for frying
Flour for dredging

A note about the potatoes-- I mashed mine with skin on, and then just pulled off the large sections of skin that had accumulated on my masher. Left the other skin bits in, because I'm lazy and potato skin is healthy anyway. But go ahead and peel them if you want. I won't stop you.
Then in a small bowl, mix together potato, chicken, and spices. Roll them into little balls (about 1 1/2 inches across), flatten them a little, and dredge them in flour. Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in your skillet-- when hot, fry the balls until golden, flipping halfway through.

Curried Yogurt Dipping Sauce
½ c. plain yogurt
Squeeze of lime juice
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp hot curry powder

Mix it all up together in a little bowl. Yep, that's it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I'm confused about the chicken. Minced cooked shredded. Does it come in such a form from the supermarket (I mean minced and shredded. I'm guessing you cooked it yourself??!) We regularly buy turkey mince but have never seen chicken. (I live in Ireland and any mince other than good ol' minced beef would be sort of 'out there'). Can you use regular old chicken breast and food process it in some way? I realise I sound like someone who's never set foot in a kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about my late response-- traveling, didn't see the comment until just now! Anyway, I think there's a difference in what we mean by 'mince' in the US vs. Ireland/UK. I think what you all call 'mince', we call 'ground'? And what I mean by 'mince' is 'chopped into very small bits'. (Ah, our common language!) :) Which is all a lengthy way of saying, yes, you can take some chicken breasts, cook them in a little water until they're nice and done, and then chop them up fine. What I used was actually the meat I saved from a roast chicken. So, no, nothing fancy really! Now off to change my wording to "finely chopped cooked chicken", since that is what I mean!

    ReplyDelete